Monday, June 15, 2009

Sunday Supper :: A French Dinner

Our French Dinner - was so lovely ! For the decor we found a gorgeous vintage wallpaper to line the tabletop. We wanted a more dramatic take on a french countryside evening. We added tall candlesticks, flowers from Saipua...vintage silverware...and voila !
We had an amazing wine pairing with each course from Pour Wines. Casey served a refreshing mint water and a small bite of french bread with a baked herb goat cheese and a burnt fig spread as a starter. And for dinner...moules marinieres, grilled skirt steak au poivre- parsnip puree, braised fennel and tomato. The cherry on top...a bittersweet chocolate and orange pot de crème with almond cream. mmmm. makes our mouth water all over again!
Scroll down for photos & recipes galore. And check out the illustrations on our menus (!) how cute are they ? all hand drawn by our dear Stefanie Pitaro (thanks stef! )
Hope you enjoy looking through the photos & happy cooking. Bon appetite.










All Photography by Karen Mordechai

22 comments:

  1. I love your blog. Your project has inspired our family to recommit ourselves to create interesting and delicious dinners for our family and friends. Please keep doing what you do. Great food, beautiful images, interesting tabletops... it's all great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. just grogeous!!!! wow going back for a second, third...look!! really beautiful, love how you have invited us in...now if it our screens could put out scents and flavors:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks gorgeous...i REALLY wish i had been there...!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Perfect! It does look like sunday suppers at my grandma's house before she passed away. Love the idea of the wallpaper to line the tabletop. It is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The ritual of a Sunday Supper is something my family is starting due to this blog!!! I love reading about the menu, the flowers -all of it is divine! Thank you, Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. gorgeous!! simple and pretty!! I love the silverware so much

    ReplyDelete
  7. I adore Sunday Supper - My Grandma hosted Sunday Supper and never sat, she served heaping bowls of mashed potato's and fried chicken and orange jello with grated carrots. I miss her and her love of Sunday Suppers.
    pve

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everything is gorgeous!! I can't wait to attend in July. Such a treat I have to look forward to.

    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh, the photos on this website always make me drool. They are perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I love everything about this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. love the decanter/pitcher the mint water is in- where can i find them?!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had such a great time, the pictures turned out awesome! I am hosting a dinner party this Sunday, and I hope to re-create the dessert because it was so delicious!! Thank you again for everything, it was truly an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  13. that wallpaper runner is gorgeous! your work is so lovely and inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. just exquisite. i am in awe of...it all!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all !! It's so nice to read everyone's comments and stories from their own sunday suppers !
    It truly is a beautiful tradition - and we're so happy to be bringing back fond memories !

    Kribs - casey owned the decanter from a while back but there's a similar version at crate and barrel :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joanna ! Thanks....looking forward to the 19th :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to know how you folded the napkins!

    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I would like a receipe for Burnt Fig Spread, pls.
    Love Figs!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I was also wondering if you could post the recipe for the baked herb goat cheese and burnt fig spread. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Beautiful table... Using wallpaper as a runner is a great idea! I used a similar idea for the tables at my wedding - I handpainted designs on craft paper and used them as runner.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lovely..and filled with ideas I'm gonna borrow! Always love your posts.

    ReplyDelete