Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Beet Greens Soup



This soup tastes and smells like comfort. It is a touch tart from the lemon and tomatoes, but all the ingredients meld to create a perfect stew. Growing up my mother would make this for us on a friday afternoon. Traditionally it is served with kubeh ( meat filled semolina dumblings) but since I was a vegetarian for most of my youth, I would serve up a big bowl of the soup - and skip the kubeh. Making the soup on it's own is a great way to use the leftover beet greens and is so so easy to make. happy cooking and let us know if you try it !

Recipe :: Beet Greens Soup

1 yellow onion chopped
Greens of 5 beets roughly chopped including stems
1 cup Crushed tomatoes
2 peeled chopped beets
4 cups Chicken stock
½ lemon
Salt + pepper

Soak greens for a long time, and rinse very thoroughly in a strainer and pat dry. Sauté onion in a bit of oil until soft and translucent. Combine all ingredients in a stock pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and allow the soup to cook down, approximately an hour or when beets are fork tender.


6 comments:

  1. Love that color, beautiful soup.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love discovering more creative ways to use beet greens. Thank you for all the beet coverage. Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. beets a ham sandwich. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. so yummy. I have some beets growing in my garden! this is what i can do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made your soup and it is wonderful. The second day even more flavorful. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete